Friday, December 14, 2007

Trash to treasure in the garden . . . recycling


I'm still amazed at the number of people who recycle stuff in the garden. Here are some photos of a revolving paperback book rack that JR pulled out of the trash at a convenient store that had a second life in our store and after that went into the garden. It is still standing after all this time, although it has been moved around to various locations and had different type of plants in it. It is my single most favorite trash to treasure in my garden . . .

I took this photo in May . . . one of two gorgeous staghorn ferns that balance the top of the rack . . . it was one of the many surprises that JR came home with to put a smile on my face. They were little tiny babies when he bought them for the purpose of growing into the rack. It has become much larger with all the rain this summer. I'll get some new photos soon.







I lined the rack with chicken wire and packed the sides with spaghnum moss and filled with soil. When I want to plant something in it, I just poke a hole in the sides or plant inside the pocket. Very cool . . . when I get things cleaned up, I'd like to get a few more of these.











This was it's first planting . . . with colorful and beautiful impatiens . . . this plant didn't work because the soil dries out too fast and imipatiens like it moist . . . so it ended up with plants that can tolerate drought conditions and it has worked out perfectly. But it sure was pretty with the colorful impatiens.







Hope you enjoyed the pics of my Paradise!



No comments:

Post a Comment