Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Organic pest control

Someone left a comment on one of my posts asking the question . . .
"how do I keep bugs from eating my basil?"

I'm an organic gardener and don't use chemicals in my garden, especially on herbs and vegetables.

There are several recipes that I've used to control pests, but the one that is very simple . . . a squirt of dishwashing liquid in a gallon of water (do not use Dawn or any other grease cutting dishwashing liquid). You can also add a teaspoon of cooking oil to make it stick to the leaves of the plant.

Something else I have learned is spray the plant with plain water with the spray nozzle on the hose . . . the spray of water will knock the bugs off the plant.

The key is to keep the leaves clean and check your plants often.



No comments:

Post a Comment