Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vacationing During The Fasting Month

Almost everyone who knows me know that we'll be vacationing in Japan during the Ramadhan month and we'll be fasting for last few days of Ramadhan there. A few had shown concerns over the fact that they think we might not fast while in Japan. For non-Muslims to ask, I will gladly tell them in detail that wherever we are in this world, we'll still fast if we are well and in good health. But for fellow Muslims to show concern shows of a low opinion of me and my faith, don't you think?

Anyway, fasting while vacationing should pretty much be like any day except that both Zaini and I don't need to go to work! But we do need to keep our activities in check to avoid dehydration. I for one do not believe that one should slow down on everyday activities just because one is fasting! Of course, I won't plan on running a marathon when I'm fasting! Heck, I already suspended my gym membership for a month.

We will arrive Tokyo on Sep 16 which is 5 days before the end of Ramadhan and the start of Syawal on which we Muslims will celebrate Aidilfitri (Eid-ul-fitr). Unlike in Kuala Lumpur where the imsak is around 5.40am and the iftar (breaking fast) around 7.20pm; it is at 3.30am and 6.30am respectively in Tokyo.

I jokingly tell my friends that it's good to travel while fasting. We get to save a few $$$ by not eating lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment