Thursday, May 5, 2011

Natto!

We just can't get enough of it!
Natto wrapped in straw, which was served when we were having breakfast at Taenoyu Onsen in Nyuto Onsen
Natto in a plastic pack, enjoyed during breakfast at JAL City Hotel in Sendai
Gooey and sticky. It does look like it's been covered in snot, doesn't it? That sure brings up the appetite! LOL
If you goggle-up Natto, one description would come up: foul smelling. To this, I digress. The smell isn't that bad, and it sure doesn't taste like rotten cheese either. But then, don't take my word for it since I grew up eating "tempeh" - our own version of fermented soybeans over here in my part of the world. I think I'm OK with most fermented soybean products (or anything fermented for that matter) - I love Korean Doenjang not to mention the bean paste called tauchu; lovely fermented soybean in salt. Zaini even put tauchu in his instant noodle sometimes. If natto isn't so expensive here, I think we would've plonked some in our instant noodle too!

How to enjoy natto:
1. Put natto in a small bowl or just lift up the plastic off the natto plastic container.
2. Add soy sauce and stir well.
3. Add chopped green onion and karashi mustard, if you want to.
4. Put the stirred and seasoned natto on a bowl of steamed rice and enjoy the gooey goodness! Yummy!

Be prepared to get sticky!

But don't limit your natto experience to just putting them on top of a bowl of rice! Be adventurous. Eat natto anytime. ^^

You bet I'm gonna eat a lot when I'm in Japan. ^^

This is my Japan and I'm sharing it with folks over at Show Me Japan Vol 1 Issue 24. W00T!

No comments:

Post a Comment