Wednesday, March 28, 2012

First Meals

I just realised that I haven't started any post on what we ate while vacationing in Japan last year.  How remiss of me! About time to start posting food photos, in between travel stories. No?
First meal, upon arriving to Japan. A late supper bought at a konbini. The melon pan was for Raimie. Plus a cheap 105yen 1ltr pack grape (I think) drink.
First breakfast in Japan - we would eat this type of breakfast often as this is what is being offered/served at Toyoko Inn, the hotel chain that we like to stay at (or is it in?) Though I have to admit, I can only last a week eating onigiris before I start wanting only bread for my breakfast! Thankfully, they offer those too.

It's easy to spot a foreigner at the breakfast hall at this hotel. By foreigner I mean Asian tourists and not Westerners. Due to the limited space, Japanese guests don't usually linger at the breakfast table and eat just enough - 3 onigiris, some side dishes and a cup of tea and they usually don't make a second trip to the buffet table. Us foreigners sit around, hog the breakfast table and eat to last us until dinner! I kid you not! "It's free so might as well scarf everything and get value for money for it" mentality should totally be left behind back home, lah...

Zaini and I, who are foreign tourists ourselves would scoff at these people and mutter "sheesh, these foreign tourists. Why can't they learn to be like the Japanese". A case of  being a Japanese-wannabe? Visited Japan way too many times?
First lunch in Japan was at Shin-Yokohama Station. Nothing too adventurous; we went to Tenya and ate tempura, ate rice, ate some udon too. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know there's proper name for those but I'm lazy to put it down.
These, our first ekiben. Eaten on our journey from Shin-Yokohama to Hakata Station, taking the shinkansen. Guess which one is Raimie's?

No comments:

Post a Comment