Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Shitamachi Randomness

I promised a Shikoku post (or a series of posts) but if you have been reading this blog long enough, you'd know that I "suffered" from short-term memory loss occassionally and forgot to keep my promise. That Shikoku post(s) will be here. Soon. Sometime soon. I promise. I think. Just come and visit anyway. heh

I figured I'd post up a bit on my beloved "shitamachi" before embarking on a trip to the fourth largest island in Japan. I miss the shitamachi. Wouldn't you?
Amidst concrete and pre-fab buildings, we stumbled upon this shop. I wish I'd taken a proper photo of it but the obachan whom I assumed is the owner was standing in front of it and I was scared I got shooed away with a broom! Obachan can be scary, you know. LOL
One of the shop's neighbours wares. Cheap toys for sale. In bulk. Reminds me of Petaling Street. Who needs big department stores?
Found in the street of Kappabashi, selling what else? Kitchen items. Ceramics shop and a stainless steel pots & pans (among other things) shop. No Cap Buaya/Zebra pots here, ah? kikiki

We wanted to buy a takoyaki mould but decided against it. We flew by AirAsia, remember? Need to pay for all that luggage too! Ain't worth it... yet.
I just like the bus hence the shot of it here.
Errr... an arch?
Ready for dinner, anyone?
Drink & be merry! The stall wasn't that deserted... we were there a tad too early to have the place brimming with after office hours patrons.

Let me loose at a trendy street in Japan and I'll be ill at ease.

Put me in a crowded street and I'll have a massive headache.

But let me wander around the shitamachi that Rurousha loves so much too (psst.... I'm so jealous that she gets to enjoy the shitamachi every day) and I'll be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment