Saturday, May 8, 2010

Of Guide Books And Travel Magazines

It's been a while since we last used/referred to an English Language travel guide book on Japan. Whatever guide books available on the shelves in bookstores simply don't provide us enough information about Japan anymore. Now, Zaini and I relied heavily on brochures/pamphlets we collected from previous trip and information gleaned online.

I do wish I can read Japanese (and Chinese) because the travel magazines and guide books available at the Japanese and Chinese section in Kinokuniya (and MPH) looks so interesting, much better than the English ones. 
 Atrocious photo quality because I took these photo stealthily using my handphone camera.

They are colourful with plenty of current photos, compared to English guide books which seems to just recycle photos of previous books into their updated version. I don't want to look at outdated photos - imagine looking at photos of Japanese men and women in 80's style in a supposedly latest, 2010 edition guide book.

Not understanding the language never stop Zaini and I from browsing through the magazines/books - the photos inside worth a thousand words! I love the fact that the information inside includes attraction fees, popular local souvenirs complete with the prices and recommended food too! I can spend hours at Kinokuniya but it's a pity that the bookstore is in KLCC and not in Midvalley. Zaini has all the luck working in that area and he sometimes spent his lunch hour browsing through the Japanese section looking at the guide books and magazines. Lucky him!

No comments:

Post a Comment