Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Food Ticket Machines (しょっけん じどうはんばいき)

If you are a tourist and you are scared to death about the thoughts of ordering in Japan and avoid going out  to eat without your tour guide, why not go to those places with these ticket machine. Slot in your $$$, choose what you want to eat (there are usually pictures and even plastic food display to help you decide), get the ticket or tickets, pass it to the staff, sit down and voila! Food will be served with literally no requirement for you to open your mouth. 

We got this handled down pat. The not talking, I mean. Enter a restaurant, somebody will greet us and ask along this line : "nan-mei sama desu ka" - we just show with our hand how many in our party; which is 3, by the way. Pass our food ticket upon sitting down and wait for food to arrive. Who says its hard to be in Japan if you don't speak the language? If its not because I want to practice my horrible Japanese with those poor Japanese service staff, I think we'd get along just fine by using sign language! Just be suitably polite and no words are needed. That and of course the willingness to make an ass of oneself. LOL
Didn't stop to eat at this joint but they're sure cheap. I always tell my non-Muslim friends, for them to find inexpensive food in Japan is easy! They remain unconvinced still. :( Sometimes I wonder why people keep on harping about Japan being expensive but did not hesitate to travel all around Europe. Last time I checked, Euro is still higher than our RM. AUS$ isn't that cheap either.@.@
At one of our fave place to eat dinner. 

The machine has a picture of the food so it's easy to choose.  The restaurant has a food display too out in front so it's easy to make a decision before going in and buy our food tickets.

I got to try mozuku for the first time at this place. I've always wanted to try eating it after it was shown on Dosanko Cooking. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment