Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Autumn Is Sanma Time?

Grilled sanma is a staple of  "teishiku" or set lunch and what better time to enjoy this fish than in autumn when it is in season; having swum down from the cold northern seas.

Grilled sanma served with a little grated radish on the side, a bowl of rice and a steaming bowl of miso, cold tofu and some pickles - can't beat this set meal! It happen to be my favourite.

Can't wait for the Iwate Fair to be held at Jusco so that I can buy some "cheap" fresh sanma though by the look of it, getting any stocks from Japan over at the supermarket nowadays may be a bit of a problem. The Japanese food aisles at Jusco Mid Valley are quite empty and left unstocked. :(
Anyhoo... a fresh sanma and a prepared sanma I grilled myself at home. 

It's easy to serve these sanma fish. Just a matter of sprinkling some salt and grilling it to your liking. No need to gut the fish too! Just grill them whole.

Instead of serving it with grated daikon/radish; I served it Malay style - with  kicap (thick soy sauce), sliced shallots and lime juice. It was smashing!

One day I got into this experimenting mood and decided to cook the sanma "assam pedas" style. Can't say I limit myself to just a certain way of cooking, eh? *^-^*
If you are in Japan in Autumn, don't forget to eat sanma (and think of me). Kakaka

There are other food that makes me think of Autumn. Kuri (chesnut) comes to mind too. A post of all those kuri I ate soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment