Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sea Of People In Omotesando

Sept 20th was our 5th day in Japan and not only was it a Sunday, it was a long holiday for Japan. Hence, it was really packed with people all coming out to spend the day with friends and family. And that Sunday happen to be Eid too, and Muslims all over the world celebrated the end of Ramadhan (the fasting month).

We went to the Malaysian Embassy dressed in our traditional costume (me in my baju kurung and Zaini and Raimie wore their baju Melayu). Afterwards, we just went sight-seeing in the nearby area.

Me, in my traditional baju kurung in Omotesando. I did say that I'll be wearing one in Tokyo, didn't I? Raimie had his Baju Melayu on earlier, but we changed his shirt afterwards because of the hot weather. Nobody bat an eye at me wearing my baju kurung. Zaini opined that people must have thought that I'm Vietnamese, coming from the nearby Vietnamese Fair at Yoyogi-Park. There was a huge Vietnam fair there, and with a really good response from the Japanese crowd too.
Walking along Omotesando, we saw mikoshi (portable shrine) bearers. The one that caught my interest was the children carrying a small mikoshi. So cute.
And there was a taiko (drum) performance too.
And also a parade showcasing Japanese and Korean culture. Very interesting. It was a relief being under the shades for a while, watching the parade. It was really hot that day!
Sea of people. Despite the huge crowd, we weren't pushed or jostled at. Everybody walked patiently and in somewhat rather organised way. That being so, I wouldn't want to be caught with this many people again any time soon!

Lucky for us, our lifeline and main transport while in Tokyo, the Ginza Line wasn't that crowded so it was rather a relief taking the subway away from Omotesando afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment