Wednesday, March 2, 2011

At The Station : Mojiko Station

Mojiko Station on a wet day in 2008, waiting for Hanny, a blogger friend we were meeting up for the first time to pick us up.

Zaini agreed to make a stop here while traveling from Hakata Station to Hiroshima because I really, really wanted to see this particular train station despite the less-than-ideal weather condition that day.

Built in 1914, Mojiko Station is modeled after the European style of a terminus station. It is the oldest station in Kyushu, and in 1988 was declared as an important cultural asset.

The Moji banana sellers have traditionally performed their song (banana no tatakiuri) in and near this station. The bananas were imported from Southeast Asia and the brown and half rotten ones were sold immediately along the portside.


I'm guessing that's why there is the Banana-man statue in Mojiko Retro area, because of the famous banana sellers. Don't forget to buy some bananas from the Banana man (men/women?) when you come to this town! :-)

We also drove around the area and visited Mojiko Retro. I now realised that I wasn't exhaustive about my trip reports of our visit there way back in 2008. Maybe I should remedy that someday, either by posting up old photos or a re-visit to the place? 

I'll go with a re-post on the area first before making the trip again, if you don't mind. I'll start with some photos taken at Mekari Park soon. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment