Sunday, January 15, 2012

German Saurbraten (Sour Beef)

They say smell is the quickest trigger of memories.  Well when I smell this cooking it reminds me of growing up in NY and early afternoon Sunday dinners after church. 


Any cut of beef that is used for pot roast. Cover with 1/2 water - 1/2 apple cider vinegar.  If it is a big roast I will use more water. Add cut up onion and pickling spices which are broken bay leaf, mustard seed, coriander seed and black peppercorns. (some use cinnamon to - I don't!)

Let is marinate for 3 -4 days turning every 12 or 24 hours. Pat dry or it will splatter during the browning step. I brown it well in alittle bacon fat or oil or crisco.  I tell my  myself 'think almost burn' when I am browning so it gets a dark rich color and 'bark'.
I finish cooking in the pressure cooker anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes depending on the size of the roast.

Finished plate served with Spaetzel, red cabbage and sweet and sour green beans.  For the gravy I use browned flour and some of the marinade - how much depends on how sour you want it.  Some  add gingersnaps but I don't do that either. 
 The only thing that makes this more complicated than a pot roast is the time it takes to marinade.  The measurements I use are approximate but there are plenty of recipes out there with exact measurements.

Hope you try this delicious meat dish and add it too your repertoire of recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment